Helpful ways to approach cleaning out your parents’ homeSeptember 10, 2021
Three scenarios for needing to clean out your parents’ home
- Your parents move into a retirement village and so they need to downsize, but they want to keep items for sentimental or other reasons.
- Your parents move into a rest home, which can mean there is not much room, and so storage is needed.
- When a parent passes away and the children or other relative need to store the household goods while the estate is getting sorted, or they’re waiting to sell the family home.
How to approach any of these scenarios:
Everyone will have a different experience when cleaning out their parents’ home. But these tips should be helpful in the process.
- Tip 1: Plan the clean out with a date for the completion. It doesn’t have to be a precise timetable, but a broad plan of what you need to do is a good starting point.
- Tip 2: Look into your self-storage options. You may have somewhere already in mind, but it’s always worth seeing what your alternatives are. Remember to consider the importance of security at a self-storage facility and how clean and convenient the personal storage facility is.
- Tip 3: Go easy on yourself when it comes to sentimental items. You may want to keep some items at home, or you might want to put some in storage, or you may well wish to give some to a charity or good cause that your parents supported. Whatever the case, the part where you sort through sentimental items can be difficult, so don’t beat yourself up if it takes longer than you’d expected.
- Tip 4: Ask for advice. Storage facilities are here to help when it comes to sharing advice about all things self-storage. Please don’t think twice about asking for advice about personal storage.
Take a tour of our Tauranga site
We love answering people’s questions about self-storage during a tour of our facility at Taurikura Drive in Tauriko, Tauranga.
If you’d prefer to take a video tour instead, simply hit the play button below.